Save money every year with the CHFA Mortgage Credit Certificate (CHFA MCCsm)!
how it works
- Pair the CHFA MCC with your CHFA first mortgage loan or any loan from a CHFA MCC-approved lender.
- Reduce the amount of federal taxes you owe by claiming 20 percent of your annual mortgage interest as a tax credit on your tax return.
- Claim the remaining interest as a home mortgage interest deduction.
- The result: You pay lower taxes and have more money to put back into your home or into savings!
chfa mcc qualification Applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
* A first time homebuyer is defined by CHFA as one who has not had an ownership interest in a primary residence for the three years prior to the mortgage loan closing.
- Meet HUD’s and CHFA’s first time homebuyer requirement* or be an qualified veteran**
- Complete a CHFA homebuyer education class (online or in-person) prior to closing
- Have a mid credit score of 620 or higher
- Meet CHFA’s income and purchase price limits
** Qualified veteran: A person who served in the active military, naval, or air service of the United States, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable, as defined in 38 USC Section 101.