Round One: In CHFA’s first round of Direct Effect, CHFA is donating $440,500 to 34 organizations. Read more about the recipients here.
Round Two: Applications open June 1 and close June 30. Awardees will be notified in late August 2022.
Round Three: Applications open September 1 and close September 30. Awardees will be notified in early December.
To receive announcements about CHFA’s Community Partnership efforts including Direct Effect Awards and future grant opportunities, please sign up to receive CHFA’s Community Connections eNews.
Submission InformationThe application for Round Two will open on June 1, 2022.
All eligible entries will be judged by a panel comprised of CHFA staff. Award winners will be selected based on the organization’s track record of success, the proposal, and how the Award funds will be used. Winners will be posted online at chfainfo.com in late August.
To be eligible, nonprofits must have a mission that aligns with CHFA. Does your mission align with CHFA’s mission to strengthen Colorado by investing in affordable housing and community development in the following ways:
Strengthening low- and moderate- income Coloradans ability to achieve or sustain affordable homeownership, financial literacy and education, home maintenance repairs and renovations, housing counseling, or foreclosure prevention.
Strengthening economic development and small business access to capital, fresh food access in food deserts, entrepreneurship, leadership, business-readiness, job training and skill development, or nonprofit-sector development and support.
Applicants seeking to further their work in any of the following areas will receive top consideration.
- Supporting rural communities
- Serving special needs populations such as homeless, veterans, seniors, or the disabled
- Addressing systemic racial/ethnic inequities and creating opportunities for communities of color
- Advancing innovation in construction practices, service delivery, community collaboration and partnerships, or other kinds of change-making endeavors that supports housing stability or economic prosperity
Additional Eligibility Criteria
Application InformationApplicants will be asked to respond to the following questions:
- Describe, in 150 words or less, how your organization has made the state stronger by helping Coloradans access affordable housing and/or by furthering economic development. For example, describe your impact (people supported, etc.) over the past five years.
- Describe in 500 words or less, the specific program you are seeking funding for and how Direct Effect dollars will be used. Be sure to describe the anticipated impact (people supported etc.) of the project.
- Describe, in 300 words or less, who else has contributed to and/or is being asked to contribute towards the funding goal, including committed or anticipated dollar amounts. What is your plan to fulfill the total budget needed? If you receive partial funding from CHFA, how will you fill the gap? (Be sure to include cash support and in-kind, include value of in-kind).
- Describe in 300 words or less how your organization strives to advance equity through your programs, who you serve, staff, board, and volunteers, and/or engagement with community.
- Based on your anticipated impact, describe, in 300 words or less, at least three ways you will measure success for this effort. Examples of success measures could include but are not limited to: total number of households expected to be supported, program launch date, or project completion date. Please note: Award recipients will be asked to provide a brief written summary report within one year of receiving their award documenting their progress in reaching the success measures defined in this response.
A copy of the organization’s IRS exemption letter demonstrating proof of nonprofit status or a state charter, articles of incorporation or other establishing documents designating the organization as a nonprofit or not-for-profit entity under the laws of Colorado, and the Colorado Secretary of State's Certificate of Good Standing are required for submission as part of the application process.
The Colorado Housing and Finance Authority’s contribution is restricted to supporting the general operations and programs of the organization and may not be used to support any activity proscribed by Section 1-45-117 of the Colorado Fair Campaign Practices Act or advocacy in support or opposition to any state, federal, or local legislation.